Trent is the capital of the province of the same name and of the regione Trentino-Alto Adige with a population of about 112.500. Situated near the Dolomite mountains and numerous lakes, Trent is a city that has a strong Renaissance influence that characterizes its colours and old buildings and make it unique amongst the alpine cities.
Its geographic position and history (from 1816 it was annexed to the Hapsburg Empire and later to Austria, becoming part of Italy only in 1919)have contributed to make Trento a treasure chest that reveals its multiple aspects a little at a time:
art, history, culture expressed:
• in its numerous interesting buildings
• its Churches
• its Castle
San Virgilio Cathedral
The Cathedral of San Vigilio is in the Piazza del Duomo. It is the principal church in the city and was built in the thirteenth century over a pre-existing 6th Century basilica dedicated to San Virgilio (the patron saint of the city) and built over his tomb, from which the cathedral takes its name. This old basilica thus became a cemetery church and was therefore located outside the city walls.
San Lorenzo Abbey
This is a building from the twelfth century built by Benedictine monks from Bergamo called to Trent by Bishop Altemanno. The apse, in Romanesque style, and the presbytery are particularly interesting.
Palazzo of Albere
A Renaissance style building constructed about 1550 on the orders of the Madruzzo family, who governed the Principality of Trent for a Century. Although it was the seat of government it also has fortifications and architectural elements of defence, like the four cornerstone towers. It now houses the Trent collection of the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art of Trent and Rovereto, (MART).
Mausoleum of Cesare Battisti at Doss Trento
On a hill (308 metres above sea level) on the right-hand shore of the River Adige there is a mausoleum to the memory of Cesare Battisti (1875-1916), considered a hero in Italy. The mausoleum consists of 16 marble columns 14-metres high, on a circular base.
One of the most important monuments of the eighteenth century in the city, built in the period of enlightenment for "the health and decorum of the city". The original statue of Nepture sculptured by Giongo is in the town hall courtyard. On top of the fountain there is a bronze reproduction.
The Castle originated from a fortified building erected in the 13th century next to the city's walls. This first edifice was called Castelvecchio ("Old Castle"), and was the seat of the Bishop of Trent from the 13th Century onwards.
Via Lidorno, 3
Trento Aeroporto - 38100 (TN)
Tel. 39 (0461) 944888
Fax: 39 (0461) 944900
Official site: firstname.lastname@example.org
Entrance fee: € 1,50 - 2,50